Skip to main content

Book Ramble - Radio Silence

Hi everyone! Welcome to Nox Reads, I'm "Nox", and Radio Silence by Alice Oseman is pure gold, a NEW FAVORITE!

Radio Silence

"Hello. I hope somebody is listening."

TRIGGER WARNING: Abuse, Anxiety, Mentions of Suicide (one character worries that a friend is going to attempt), Death Threats

REPRESENTATION: POC (biracial main character , POC love interest), LGBTQ+ (demisexual main character, lesbian main character, gay love interest)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

S P O I L E R - F R E E  T A L K 

I absolutely adore this book.

I love it more than words can express, but since this is a book blog, I'll do my best. When it comes down to characters or plot, I will always pick characters. They're what drives the story for me, and I can't think of a better example than in Radio Silence. I don't know if there really is a plot (there's a story, most definitely, but I can't think of a definitive plot?), but it's a story between two neighbors with a shared passion that become best friends. And I think that's one of the best parts, Frances and Aled are just friends. I can't think of books with platonic relationships, and I love the friendship between Aled and Frances. Frances isn't afraid to say how much she loves him:

"I couldn't quite believe how much I seriously loved Aled Last, even if it wasn't in the ideal way that would make it socially acceptable to live together until we die."

"And I'm platonically in love with you."
"That was literally the boy-girl version of 'no homo', but I appreciate the sentiment."

Aled and Frances have such an intense and real friendship. They understand each other, they're there for each other. They're actual friendship goals.

Image result for she's my person

There's a serious contrast between Frances' friendship with Aled and the one she has with her school friends. Where she says they treat her like she has no life experiences and is just a study nerd...I felt that. Because somebody would rather stay home and read/draw/etc than party and stuff, others feel like they need to bring them out to the world and stuff. Friends think they're being helpful and caring but they're not, especially for people who aren't comfortable around that kind of stuff. And she says things that kind of imply that she's a different, lesser version of herself around them, and I felt that too. Even with friends that I love to death, my "best friends", I feel that. And it made Frances all so much more real for me.

Frances also has a different relationship with her mom. Even though her mom doesn't quite understand UniverseCity or why it's so important to Frances, she knows it means a lot to her. Her first instinct is to protect Frances, to make sure nobody was trying to steal her art, but when Frances considers not doing it, she automatically encourages her. The two are so close and open about everything, and you can tell how much they mean to each other. Frances mentions that people react weirdly when they see her with her mom (her mom is white and Frances is darker because her dad is black), so I'd imagine that has some to do with their relationship. Her mom supports her friendship with Aled (There's a scene when he comes over at like midnight to help Frances study and she's just like "Awesome, want some hot chocolate?"). She just wants her daughter to be happy, and I love that.

Most of all though, I love how Alice Oseman shows Frances with her anxiety. As someone with anxiety, hearing Frances rambling and then thinking right away about how she should've said something else or how she shouldn't have said anything else is very relatable. It's something that I do a lot, and in a genre where it feels like main characters are always so sure of themselves, I appreciate it. I also understood when Frances said that she wasn't funny around her friends, that with them she was boring, to the point where she picked out her outfit and tried to say stuff that the others would wear and agree with. I've always felt like I'm different parts of myself around different people - that nobody really gets the entirety of me. And I know how it is to want to be somewhere else but feel pressured to stay (hello, prom) and how in order to feel accepted, to try to imitate other people that are (which was pretty much me during all of elementary and middle school). Frances is the first character that I've read that I have seen so much of this in, and it definitely made me feel less crazy and less alone, and I will always be grateful for that.

"They only like school Frances though, not real Frances."

I felt this. SO. much. 

At the same time, I also relate to Aled. I know what it's like to have an online place where you try to be yourself, the way that Aled does. That's what this blog is for me, that's what my Twitter and Instagram are, etc. They're my little corner away from reality, so I understood why UniverseCity is so important to Aled.

Also, just really quick, Aled Last and Frances Janvier are precious nerds that need to be protected at all costs.

My spoiler-free question is: do you have that little corner away from reality? Obviously you don't need to say what it is - I would never want to take that from you, but do you have somewhere safe? I literally had to tell my mother yesterday that I don't want her to know what my Bookstagram is, not because I talk about her or anything, but because it's just mine. Thankfully, my grandma was able to explain it for me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

S P O I L E R  T A L K 

I don't have much to say for the spoiler talk other than this: Carol Last is the worst. Crazy psycho who kills her son's freaking dog and chases him with scissors. It was so hard to read scenes with her in them - I can't imagine how it would feel to live them.

Also, the very ending gave me chills. In the very best possible way.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyways, this is an incredibly long and heavy post, but I hope you enjoyed it! If you haven't read Radio Silence, I hope you pick it up!

Thanks for reading!

~ Nox

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Guide to Anti-Racist Resources | #blacklivesmatter #sayhisname

Hi everyone. Welcome to Nox the Reader, and today I'm sharing a compiled list of different anti-racist resources that I've seen shared on Bookstagram and Twitter. Please note: THIS LIST IS EVER-EVOLVING AND EXPANDING. AS I GATHER MORE INFORMATION, I WILL BE ADDING IT TO THIS GUIDE. IF THERE'S ANYTHING YOU FEEL I SHOULD ADD, PLEASE DM ME ON TWITTER @nox_reads, OR COMMENT DOWN BELOW. Before I share this list, all I want to say is that I'm mad as hell and I'm tired. My dad always shared stories about living in Inglewood in the 90s during the time of Rodney King and the LA Riots. And it's almost 30 years later and nothing has changed. I've grown up surrounded by names as hashtags and videos cycled through the media and it's infuriating  and heartbreaking and exhausting . And a lot of us are wondering what to do, how to break this system and burn it to the ground. And it starts with educating ourselves and uplifting the voices of others. In this list are book

The Wicked Deep and Winterwood: Reading Shea Ernshaw's Books

Hi everyone! Welcome to Nox the Reader, I'm "Nox", and today I'm talking about Shea Ernshaw's books  The Wicked Deep  and  Winterwood .          "We wait for death. We hold our breath. We know it's coming, and still we flinch when it claws at our throats and pulls us under." ~ The Wicked Deep "Because I am more darkness than girl. More winter shadow than August sunlight." ~ Winterwood Two-Sentence Synopsis: The Wicked Deep  is about the town of Sparrow, which is cursed by three sisters that were accused of witchcraft and drowned centuries ago. Every summer, the three sisters possess the bodies of three of the town's girls and drown three boys in revenge. Winterwood  is about Nora Walker, who comes from a long line of witches died to the local Winter Woods of Fir Haven. Nora finds Oliver Huntsman, a lost boy from a local camp for troubled boys, and is caught up in a mystery. Content Warnings The Wicked Deep :  Drowning,

Community Spotlight - Interview with Paper Lanterns

Hello everyone! Welcome to Nox the Reader, I'm Nox, and today's post is an interview with Paper Lanterns, an online literary journal based in Ireland! Paper Lanterns logo was created by Eleanor Brayden I had the chance to interview the creators of Paper Lanterns - Grace Kelly, Ruth Ennis, and Amy O'Sullivan, and ask them questions about their inspiration behind the literary journal and what they do!