Skip to main content

Top 5 "Wednesday" (Thursday): Independent Ladies

Hi everyone! Welcome to Nox Reads, I'm "Nox", and since today is Single Awareness Day, yesterday's prompt was discussing female characters whose plots didn't rely on romance. This doesn't mean that they didn't have any romance at all, but it wasn't their only/main storyline.


I'm posting this a day later because I spent yesterday with my mom, cousin, and aunt for Galentine's...here's the post!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Blue Sargent from the Raven Cycle series by Maggie Stiefvater
Look, the synopsis for The Raven Boys misled me sooooo much! Yes, love does play an important role in Blue's story (she is destined to kill her true love if she ever kisses him), but there is so much that happens in the story that it honestly takes a bit of a backseat. It's important, but it isn't the only thing happening, and Blue is so much more than her curse.

[Blogger's Note Here: …this list is harder for me to make than I thought it would be]

2. Eliza Murk from Eliza and Her Monsters by Francesca Zappia
The main part of Eliza's story is her journey as she struggles with her social anxiety. Wallace plays a decent part in this, but so does everybody else in the story (her family, her friends, her fans, etc.). It just so happens that he's her first not-Internet friend, and he's the one to help her get a little out of her shell.

3. Charlotte Holmes from A Study in Charlotte by Britney Cavallero
Once again, I'm finding the loophole here. Even though the entire book is told through Jamie's perspective, he isn't really what drives her story. The story focuses on the two of them solving crimes but also learning how to adapt to each other (Charlotte isn't used to people caring about her, apparently). Jamie is important but not the main part of Charlotte's story.

4. Cinder from The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer
The fact that Cinder doesn't truly end up with Kai until Winter makes me feel that she deserves to be on this list. Out of all four girls, she's the one whose story is less centered around a guy (the other three aren't truly focused on the romance, but it's involved a bit more than Cinder's). Cinder is thrown into a role that she is not prepared for and has to lead a revolution for a society she doesn't know. That's her story- Kai is just a bonus (because who doesn't love Kai?).

5. Aza from Fairest by Gail Carson Levine
Aza, like Cinder, is thrown into a mission she is not prepared for. Her relationship with Ijori definitely takes the backseat to everything else she has going on. I don't want to go more in depth because you should just read the book but it's amazing, and I love Aza. She's definitely an independent lady (and Ijori is also a bonus, my precious cinnamon roll).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well everyone, this is my list of 5 independent ladies! I hope you enjoy it- I know that all of these ladies end up in relationships, but I think it's possible to be independent and be in a relationship. It's hard to explain. 

Most of all, I hope you have an amazing Valentine's Day- regardless of whether or not you're in a relationship. Today's about love, so love each other but most of all, love yourself! 

I love you all!

~ Nox

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Guide to Anti-Racist Resources | #blacklivesmatter #sayhisname

Hi everyone. Welcome to Nox the Reader, and today I'm sharing a compiled list of different anti-racist resources that I've seen shared on Bookstagram and Twitter. Please note: THIS LIST IS EVER-EVOLVING AND EXPANDING. AS I GATHER MORE INFORMATION, I WILL BE ADDING IT TO THIS GUIDE. IF THERE'S ANYTHING YOU FEEL I SHOULD ADD, PLEASE DM ME ON TWITTER @nox_reads, OR COMMENT DOWN BELOW. Before I share this list, all I want to say is that I'm mad as hell and I'm tired. My dad always shared stories about living in Inglewood in the 90s during the time of Rodney King and the LA Riots. And it's almost 30 years later and nothing has changed. I've grown up surrounded by names as hashtags and videos cycled through the media and it's infuriating  and heartbreaking and exhausting . And a lot of us are wondering what to do, how to break this system and burn it to the ground. And it starts with educating ourselves and uplifting the voices of others. In this list are book

The Wicked Deep and Winterwood: Reading Shea Ernshaw's Books

Hi everyone! Welcome to Nox the Reader, I'm "Nox", and today I'm talking about Shea Ernshaw's books  The Wicked Deep  and  Winterwood .          "We wait for death. We hold our breath. We know it's coming, and still we flinch when it claws at our throats and pulls us under." ~ The Wicked Deep "Because I am more darkness than girl. More winter shadow than August sunlight." ~ Winterwood Two-Sentence Synopsis: The Wicked Deep  is about the town of Sparrow, which is cursed by three sisters that were accused of witchcraft and drowned centuries ago. Every summer, the three sisters possess the bodies of three of the town's girls and drown three boys in revenge. Winterwood  is about Nora Walker, who comes from a long line of witches died to the local Winter Woods of Fir Haven. Nora finds Oliver Huntsman, a lost boy from a local camp for troubled boys, and is caught up in a mystery. Content Warnings The Wicked Deep :  Drowning,

Community Spotlight - Interview with Paper Lanterns

Hello everyone! Welcome to Nox the Reader, I'm Nox, and today's post is an interview with Paper Lanterns, an online literary journal based in Ireland! Paper Lanterns logo was created by Eleanor Brayden I had the chance to interview the creators of Paper Lanterns - Grace Kelly, Ruth Ennis, and Amy O'Sullivan, and ask them questions about their inspiration behind the literary journal and what they do!