Skip to main content

Discussion: Too Many Buddy Reads and Reading Challenges?

Hello everyone! Welcome to Nox Reads, I'm "Nox", and today I wanted to have a discussion with you all on buddy reads!

Yes, my title is complete clickbait but I honestly couldn't think of how else to phrase it.

So we're only eleven days into February and I've already read three books this month, and considering I only read four in January, I'm quite proud of myself! And recently I've joined the Pride Over Prejudice Discord server, which is dedicated to sharing different buddy reads, so I've joined a couple of those as well!

I am also participating in Jenna (@jennastopreading on Instagram)'s #murdermondaybookclub, which means that I'm reading the book for the month, I'll Be Gone in the Dark by Michelle McNamara. And I participated in #fairytaleathon this week (albeit, not actively). And as per usual I am reading for Fox and Wit's reading challenge. Also, I have #ardentlyaustenbookclub and #gotcatchup (Catch Up Book Club on Twitter). I tried to find the book for Night Owls Book Club, but my library doesn't carry it. Also...#hpreadathon2019.

So yeah, that's a looooooot of reading challenges and buddy reads! And although they've helped (considering I read 3 books in 11 days), it does feel a bit like my reading schedule is planned for the month (I even have it written in my planner), mainly because, well, it is. This is all of my doing of course- nobody's forcing me to do this. But at the same time, I wonder if I've bitten off more than I can chew.

Reading is primarily an individual experience, at least, it is to me. Buddy reads and reading challenges make it less of one. It's great to be able to talk about my books to people who have actually read them (no offense to my grandma, who listens to me rant about them even though she 1) doesn't care and 2) hasn't read them), but as someone who is definitely a mood reader, it feels like I'm drowning under a monthly TBR (and we all know that I don't follow those...ever). It is also great because they get me to read books that I have that I don't really feel like getting to. I wasn't sure if I was going to enjoy Skyward. but I buddy read it for Monica (@treatyoshelfbookclub)'s buddy read and I found out that I love it! Now I'm going to buddy read The Gilded Wolves, which to be honest I probably wouldn't get to as quickly if I didn't.

This isn't meant to be me complaining, however. I was, and still am, excited for all of these challenges/buddy reads (oh my!) and the discussions/fangirling to follow. At the same time though, how does having a scheduled and planned reading affect someone? What if one day I can't read as much? Am I affecting someone else's experience if I can't discuss it as much?

So I turn this question over to you all: how do you feel about buddy reads/reading challenges/book clubs? Are your TBRs controlled by these activities or what you choose to read in the spur of the moment?

...I'd also like to point out that 1) I told my mom I'd read Vicious after I finished A Blade So Black but I haven't even started it (even though I've read three different books since...whoops!) and 2) I still haven't read the two books that my aunt lent me in November.

Please leave your thoughts down below! And if any of the challenges I mentioned sound interesting to you, I have left links to all of them (the buddy reads are all from the Discord so I left a link to the Twitter).

As always, thank you for reading! Have a great day!

~ Nox

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Guide to Anti-Racist Resources | #blacklivesmatter #sayhisname

Hi everyone. Welcome to Nox the Reader, and today I'm sharing a compiled list of different anti-racist resources that I've seen shared on Bookstagram and Twitter. Please note: THIS LIST IS EVER-EVOLVING AND EXPANDING. AS I GATHER MORE INFORMATION, I WILL BE ADDING IT TO THIS GUIDE. IF THERE'S ANYTHING YOU FEEL I SHOULD ADD, PLEASE DM ME ON TWITTER @nox_reads, OR COMMENT DOWN BELOW. Before I share this list, all I want to say is that I'm mad as hell and I'm tired. My dad always shared stories about living in Inglewood in the 90s during the time of Rodney King and the LA Riots. And it's almost 30 years later and nothing has changed. I've grown up surrounded by names as hashtags and videos cycled through the media and it's infuriating  and heartbreaking and exhausting . And a lot of us are wondering what to do, how to break this system and burn it to the ground. And it starts with educating ourselves and uplifting the voices of others. In this list are book

The Wicked Deep and Winterwood: Reading Shea Ernshaw's Books

Hi everyone! Welcome to Nox the Reader, I'm "Nox", and today I'm talking about Shea Ernshaw's books  The Wicked Deep  and  Winterwood .          "We wait for death. We hold our breath. We know it's coming, and still we flinch when it claws at our throats and pulls us under." ~ The Wicked Deep "Because I am more darkness than girl. More winter shadow than August sunlight." ~ Winterwood Two-Sentence Synopsis: The Wicked Deep  is about the town of Sparrow, which is cursed by three sisters that were accused of witchcraft and drowned centuries ago. Every summer, the three sisters possess the bodies of three of the town's girls and drown three boys in revenge. Winterwood  is about Nora Walker, who comes from a long line of witches died to the local Winter Woods of Fir Haven. Nora finds Oliver Huntsman, a lost boy from a local camp for troubled boys, and is caught up in a mystery. Content Warnings The Wicked Deep :  Drowning,

Community Spotlight - Interview with Paper Lanterns

Hello everyone! Welcome to Nox the Reader, I'm Nox, and today's post is an interview with Paper Lanterns, an online literary journal based in Ireland! Paper Lanterns logo was created by Eleanor Brayden I had the chance to interview the creators of Paper Lanterns - Grace Kelly, Ruth Ennis, and Amy O'Sullivan, and ask them questions about their inspiration behind the literary journal and what they do!