Skip to main content

Book Ramble - Crooked Kingdom [SPOILERS ONLY]

Hello everyone! Welcome to Nox Reads, I'm "Nox", and I'm still crying over Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo, definitely a DESERVES ALL THE HYPE!

Crooked Kingdom (Six of Crows, #2)
"I can't believe we broke out of the Ice Court but we're trapped in our own town."

TRIGGER WARNING: Graphic Violence, Death, Mentions of Slavery, Mentions of Sex Trafficking, Emotional Abuse

REPRESENTATION: POC, LGBTQ+, Plus-Size, PTSD, Disabled Character

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Welcome to my book ramble or as I like to call it, "Matthias Helvar was too precious and deserved so much better" ft. "Wesper makes my frozen heart melt".

I'd like to thank Kait from Kaitlyn's Cozy Reading Corner (@sixcrowsbooks on Twitter) for loving this book so much that I finally picked it up. It was amazing and looking back at it, it was heartbreaking. So thanks Kait, because I totally needed more characters to crush on and cry over.

My Six of Crows book ramble was completely spoiler-free, which I now find ironic because this entire post is filled to the brim was spoilers. Some are mild, most of them are major, but considering that Instagram decided to spoil a major part of the ending for me, I'm warning ya'll RIGHT NOW that this is ALL SPOILERS! The book was amazing, go and read it, then come back and sob with the rest of us. Okay? Okay.

This post is actually just a bunch of my fangirling bullet points. I wanted to post this weeks ago, but it has me feeling so many things that I've never been able to form coherent sentences. I posted a poll on Twitter on what I should do, and posting my notes won. So here you all go!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

S P O I L E R  T A L K (abandon all hope, ye who continue reading)

I think I gave enough spoiler warnings, don't you?
  • Kaz calling Jesper "Jordie" melted my poor frozen heart
  • Honestly expected to be more emotionally wrecked at the ending, but I think it's because I had emotionally prepared for it since I FREAKING GOT SPOILED FOR MATTHIAS' DEATH
  • Kaz kicking butt in the Slat with nothing but two nails and his cane...AHHHHH
  • Matthias asking Nina to not give up on the other druskelle EVEN THOUGH IT WAS A DRUSKELLE WHO KILLED HIM
  • Nikolai telling Nina that there was a place for her and "her Fjerdan" in Ravka AND THEN MATTHIAS HAD TO GO AND DIE
  • MATTHIAS DYING 
  • Jesper kissing Kuwei by mistake
  • And Wylan being jealous AHHHHH
  • Wylan and his mom
  • Inej disowning Bajan- he freaking deserved it, 
  • Holy freaking cow Van Eck tried to kill Wylan
  • I just wanted all of them to live and be happy. I wanted Jesper, Wylan, and Wylan's mom to go and live on the farm with Colm Fahey and for Inej and Kaz to go kick butt on her ship, for Nina and Matthias to go live in Ravka, and for Inej and Kaz to go pick them up and sail to visit the others in Novya Zem for birthdays or celebrations. But this didn't happen because MATTHIAS HAD TO FREAKING GO AND DIE
  • Everyone else got a happy ending except for Matthias and Nina (Matthias because he's freaking dead and Nina because she lost someone that she loved so much)
  • Matthias grew so much and I loved him and it WASN'T FAIR
  • Kaz finding Inej's parents for her to reunite her with them and then SHE GOES AND TAKES HIM TO MEET THEM WITH HER.
  • Oh my goodness "Mom, Dad, this is my gang leader boyfriend Kaz. Ignore the fact that he's covered in blood, he's great...no he totally didn't cut a man's eyeball out before..."
  • Also, it was kind of obvious that Matthias was going to die because of HIS FREAKING OATH (only in death will I be kept from this...yeah you dead)
  • Matthias talking about how he would've courted Nina in Fjerda actually broke my heart. I felt for him so much MY PRECIOUS ROMANTIC "A proper kiss, a proper courtship. There's a way these things should be done."
  • Matthias also being the only one who could handle a pregnant woman PRECIOUS
  • "If you break me I'll be of no use to him" AHHHHHH
  • Colm Fahey being like "plz date my son I ship it like FedEx" "It's none of my business, and I have no idea if he'd be good for you. Probably bring you ten kinds of headache. But I think you'd be good for him."
  • Jesper trying to make it up to his dad AHHHH we stan a father-son relationship
  • NINA'S CHANGING POWERS WHAT THE HECK
  • "If he had his pick of a thousand companions he'd pick them" AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
  • Matthias talking about his wolf broke my heart. Arti is my wolf and I'd cut anyone who abandoned her
  • Matthias is #relatable (also Wylan)
  • LOOK I WANT A MATTHIAS OKAY
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for reading, everyone! I realize that half of this is me ranting about Matthias but 1) I feel that he's one of the most underappreciated characters and I really love him and 2) that death had me ALL KINDS OF MESSED UP. I love this book so much, and eventually I'll be able to put my thoughts into coherent, well-formed words and sentences, but for now, I hope you enjoyed my notes!

Have a great day!

~ Nox

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Guide to Anti-Racist Resources | #blacklivesmatter #sayhisname

Hi everyone. Welcome to Nox the Reader, and today I'm sharing a compiled list of different anti-racist resources that I've seen shared on Bookstagram and Twitter. Please note: THIS LIST IS EVER-EVOLVING AND EXPANDING. AS I GATHER MORE INFORMATION, I WILL BE ADDING IT TO THIS GUIDE. IF THERE'S ANYTHING YOU FEEL I SHOULD ADD, PLEASE DM ME ON TWITTER @nox_reads, OR COMMENT DOWN BELOW. Before I share this list, all I want to say is that I'm mad as hell and I'm tired. My dad always shared stories about living in Inglewood in the 90s during the time of Rodney King and the LA Riots. And it's almost 30 years later and nothing has changed. I've grown up surrounded by names as hashtags and videos cycled through the media and it's infuriating  and heartbreaking and exhausting . And a lot of us are wondering what to do, how to break this system and burn it to the ground. And it starts with educating ourselves and uplifting the voices of others. In this list are book

The Wicked Deep and Winterwood: Reading Shea Ernshaw's Books

Hi everyone! Welcome to Nox the Reader, I'm "Nox", and today I'm talking about Shea Ernshaw's books  The Wicked Deep  and  Winterwood .          "We wait for death. We hold our breath. We know it's coming, and still we flinch when it claws at our throats and pulls us under." ~ The Wicked Deep "Because I am more darkness than girl. More winter shadow than August sunlight." ~ Winterwood Two-Sentence Synopsis: The Wicked Deep  is about the town of Sparrow, which is cursed by three sisters that were accused of witchcraft and drowned centuries ago. Every summer, the three sisters possess the bodies of three of the town's girls and drown three boys in revenge. Winterwood  is about Nora Walker, who comes from a long line of witches died to the local Winter Woods of Fir Haven. Nora finds Oliver Huntsman, a lost boy from a local camp for troubled boys, and is caught up in a mystery. Content Warnings The Wicked Deep :  Drowning,

Community Spotlight - Interview with Paper Lanterns

Hello everyone! Welcome to Nox the Reader, I'm Nox, and today's post is an interview with Paper Lanterns, an online literary journal based in Ireland! Paper Lanterns logo was created by Eleanor Brayden I had the chance to interview the creators of Paper Lanterns - Grace Kelly, Ruth Ennis, and Amy O'Sullivan, and ask them questions about their inspiration behind the literary journal and what they do!