Skip to main content

The Pre-Netflix Grishaverse Tag!

Hey everyone, welcome to Nox Reads, I'm "Nox", and Rachel Marie Book Junkie over on YouTube tagged me to do her original book tag- the Pre-Netflix Grishaverse Tag!

Fair warning: Some of these prompt titles contain spoilers for the Grishaverse (namely the Shadow and Bone trilogy).

Let's begin!

1. Nina Better Be Plus-Sized- A book with fantastic fat rep.
Undead Girl Gang
I'm going to be honest- I haven't read a book with any fat rep besides the Six of Crows duology. Therefore, my choice is going to be a book that's very high on my TBR that I've heard not only has amazing fat rep, but also Afro-Latinx rep, and as an overweight girl who is mixed race (which includes my Latina and my African-American sides), I really love that. Also, there's magic and (technically) zombies. What's not to love?

2. MALINA are NOT my OTP- A book where you couldn't get behind the romance.
Shadow and Bone (Grisha Verse, #1)
*cough* Shadow and Bone *cough*
Okay, I know I can't use that as my answer, so here's my real one.
Romeo and Juliet
"But Nox," some of you may be saying, "-Romeo and Juliet is one of the greatest tragedies of all time!" The real tragedy is that I've read this freaking play twice in my life and will most likely have to read it at least ten more times. I can't stand Romeo and Juliet. It isn't a "great love story", it's the story of the unhealthy actions of a grown man and a thirteen-year-old that think that love at first sight is real and manage to get their friends and family killed in three days. The tragedy part of the play is all of the deaths that occur, including Romeo and Juliet's (Despite my feelings for the characters, I will never make fun or say someone deserves suicide- even fictional characters). 

Also, yes, you read that right. Romeo was an adult (eighteen-years-old) and Juliet was thirteen (the play states that she would "turn fourteen in a fortnight"). Which I understand wasn't weird back then, but the fact that this is the love everyone holds on a pedestal (and that Lolita is still considered a classic even though it's literally written from the point of view of a pedophile) make me question America's educational system. That and Common Core, at the least.

Also, Shakespeare intended it to be satire.... I'll stop now before I continue to rant.

3. "The Darkling Isn't Dead"- A book where you connected with the villain.
Renegades (Renegades, #1)
I had to choose Renegades! Nova Artino is an amazing character, but she is technically the villain (despite being the main character). I understand her and honestly, if I was in her position, I'd do the same thing (that includes falling for Adrian Everhart, just saying). Nova's logic is perfectly sound considering the information she has, and I completely support my favorite villain.

4. Don't You Dare Whitewash! - A book to movie/TV show adaptation where the character's ethnicity was respected.
To All the Boys I've Loved Before (To All the Boys I've Loved Before, #1)
Ya'll catch the Covey sisters being amazing, relatable, and absolutely gorgeous as their biracial selves. I'm so glad that Jenny Han fought to have the girls played by Asian-American actresses, and they absolutely killed it! 

...I haven't read this book either... I solemly swear I will read the trilogy this year.

5. The King of Scars- A book by a beloved author that you're excited about.
Aurora Rising (The Aurora Cycle, #1)
MAY 7, 2019 CAN NOT COME FAST ENOUGH!
I swear, I will drop whatever I am doing- reading, eating, studying, sleeping, breathing- once this book comes out! I have been absolutely hyped since they announced it, and when I saw how beautiful the cover is I went absolutely ballistic. I can't wait!!!!

6. Inej and Kaz- Fancast your faves.

a) I've never fancasted before and 2) I have no idea if this means my faves from the Grishaverse or from any book I want. I'm going with Grishaverse.

 Alina (she's not a fave but I know who I want to play her) -Chloe Grace Moretz? I can kind of see it.
Jesper- He's too old for him but Michael B. Jordan is the only person that I think can master Jesper's confidence, flirtations, and humor while still making me cry for him. Oooo and Ron Cephas-Jones can be his dad (because he almost made me cry in This Is Us).

I'm terrible at fancasting so this is all I have.

7. No Mourners, No Funerals- A book quote that has stuck with you.

"Broken isn't the same as unfixable." - Winter by Marissa Meyer.

8. Tag your faves and spread the hype!

So (she sees this coming, I'm sure) I'm tagging Kait from Kaitlyn's Cosy Reading Corner (she's literally @sixcrowsbooks on everything), Shaa from Moonlight Pages (she's also @moonlightpages on Twitter), and my friend Tyler!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't forget to watch Rachel Marie Book Junkie's original video and her channel and to check out the social media and blogs of everyone I've tagged!

Have a great day!

~ Nox

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Guide to Anti-Racist Resources | #blacklivesmatter #sayhisname

Hi everyone. Welcome to Nox the Reader, and today I'm sharing a compiled list of different anti-racist resources that I've seen shared on Bookstagram and Twitter. Please note: THIS LIST IS EVER-EVOLVING AND EXPANDING. AS I GATHER MORE INFORMATION, I WILL BE ADDING IT TO THIS GUIDE. IF THERE'S ANYTHING YOU FEEL I SHOULD ADD, PLEASE DM ME ON TWITTER @nox_reads, OR COMMENT DOWN BELOW. Before I share this list, all I want to say is that I'm mad as hell and I'm tired. My dad always shared stories about living in Inglewood in the 90s during the time of Rodney King and the LA Riots. And it's almost 30 years later and nothing has changed. I've grown up surrounded by names as hashtags and videos cycled through the media and it's infuriating  and heartbreaking and exhausting . And a lot of us are wondering what to do, how to break this system and burn it to the ground. And it starts with educating ourselves and uplifting the voices of others. In this list are book

Community Spotlight - Interview with Paper Lanterns

Hello everyone! Welcome to Nox the Reader, I'm Nox, and today's post is an interview with Paper Lanterns, an online literary journal based in Ireland! Paper Lanterns logo was created by Eleanor Brayden I had the chance to interview the creators of Paper Lanterns - Grace Kelly, Ruth Ennis, and Amy O'Sullivan, and ask them questions about their inspiration behind the literary journal and what they do!

The Wicked Deep and Winterwood: Reading Shea Ernshaw's Books

Hi everyone! Welcome to Nox the Reader, I'm "Nox", and today I'm talking about Shea Ernshaw's books  The Wicked Deep  and  Winterwood .          "We wait for death. We hold our breath. We know it's coming, and still we flinch when it claws at our throats and pulls us under." ~ The Wicked Deep "Because I am more darkness than girl. More winter shadow than August sunlight." ~ Winterwood Two-Sentence Synopsis: The Wicked Deep  is about the town of Sparrow, which is cursed by three sisters that were accused of witchcraft and drowned centuries ago. Every summer, the three sisters possess the bodies of three of the town's girls and drown three boys in revenge. Winterwood  is about Nora Walker, who comes from a long line of witches died to the local Winter Woods of Fir Haven. Nora finds Oliver Huntsman, a lost boy from a local camp for troubled boys, and is caught up in a mystery. Content Warnings The Wicked Deep :  Drowning,