Skip to main content

Ten Books Tied to Specific Times in My Life

Hi everyone! Welcome to Nox Reads, I'm "Nox", and these are ten books that represent different times in my life.

1. The Warrior Cats Series by Erin Hunter - First Grade to Ninth Grade

The Warrior Cats were my ish (I don't curse) when I was little. I used to have shelves dedicated to this series. I got the latest Warrior Cats book for my birthday, Christmas, even Valentine's Day. I am not kidding you when I say that I had an actual binder that I had dedicated to information about the clans and characters that I copied down from the Warrior Cats Wiki, which I frequented. I read the fanfiction on the forum. I was in deep

This series meant a lot to me, and every time I see a picture of one of the books I get hit with nostalgia (as much nostalgia as a nineteen-year-old can muster). When I had to move a year ago, I had to donate a lot of my books, and sadly the series went with them. It'll always mean something to me though.

2. The Hidden Staircase by Caroline Keene - First Grade to Present

One of my favorite memories is a road trip that my grandma and I took to San Francisco when I was six. We listened to the Dixie Chicks nonstop the whole ride there, and at one point we stopped in Solvang. There was a store where we went to get danish, and I saw a table with books on it. She bought me The Hidden Suitcase (there was another one included but I don't remember it as well), and I attribute it to one of the many reasons why I adore mysteries!

3. Good Eats Cookbooks by Alton Brown - First Grade to Ninth Grade

I come from a foodie family, and as a kid, I was obsessed with Good Eats. It was my favorite show, and for three years I got a Good Eats cookbook. I absorbed the information like a sponge.

4. The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan - Third Grade to Ninth Grade

Third grade was around the time when I got into Greek mythology, and I made so many friends through my love for this series. My friends and I joke that I'm Artemis (my camp name is Artimis, yes I know it's spelled wrong) and they're my Hunters. Although I've fallen behind on the Riordanverse books, the series will always have a special place in my heart.

5. Esperanza Rising by Pam Muñoz Ryan - Third Grade to Present

Esperanza Rising is one of the only books I've read with a Latina main character. It follows Esperanza, her family, and the family that works for them as they move to the United States and become migrant farmers. As a kid, this book meant a lot to me because it showed a Mexican girl as the main character, and I'm sad to say that I haven't read many books like it since. Esperanza was the closest thing I had to representation, and the only similarities we have is being Mexican (and I'm not even completely Mexican). As a nineteen-year-old struggling with their cultural identity, I want to reread it because I feel like it'll still mean a lot to me.

6. The Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling - Fifth Grade to Present

Yeah, there was no way this wasn't going to be on the list. To keep it short, Harry Potter is similar to the Percy Jackson series to me. It's a part of me, and I've made so many friends through my love for Harry Potter. I started reading the series because a popular girl at school was, and I continued reading because I couldn't help being pulled in by the series, and it hasn't let go yet.

7. Bloomability by Sharon Creech - Middle School

This was one of my favorite books in middle school. I loved reading about Dinnie and her friends from boarding school, and I remember having a slight crush on Guthrie. I swear I read the avalanche scene a million times. I haven't read this book since I left middle school, but I definitely associate it with that time.

8. Fairest by Gail Carson Levine - Middle School to Present

Fairest is my go-to answer for when people ask what my favorite book is, and I think that's because out of every book I've ever read, it's the one that stuck with me the most. I read this at a time when bullying at school was getting worse, and when my self-confidence started to lower. Having a book where the main character is considered ugly (which they stress a lot in the book) but is okay with that because she has her family, friends, and her singing was comforting. Especially since SPOILERS this doesn't mean she isn't able to save the kingdom and end up with the prince at the end. This book meant a lot to me and still does, and I think everyone should read it.

9. Cinder by Marissa Meyer - Twelfth Grade to Present

I've said this before, but I went into quite the reading slump during high school. This book and the rest of the Lunar Chronicles series is what got me out of that slump. I absolutely adore the characters and the futuristic universe they live in. I relate to Cress and Winter so much, and I admire Cinder and Scarlet. Wolf and Jacin are fiercely loyal, and I love reading scenes where Cinder interacts with either Kai or Thorne because either way it's sure to be hilarious.

10. Eliza and Her Monsters by Francesca Zappia - Present

And the final book on this list is Eliza and Her Monsters! I read this last month and it has stuck with me ever since. Having a book that revolves around mental illness, feeling that you don't belong, and also including general fandom things means a lot. This book made me physically cry, and when it comes to books, movies, or tv, I don't cry, so that's saying a lot.

Thank you so much for reading this post! Please comment below what book first got you into reading? My family raised me on Amelia Bedelia and Junie B. Jones!

Have a great day!

~Nox

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Guide to Anti-Racist Resources | #blacklivesmatter #sayhisname

Hi everyone. Welcome to Nox the Reader, and today I'm sharing a compiled list of different anti-racist resources that I've seen shared on Bookstagram and Twitter. Please note: THIS LIST IS EVER-EVOLVING AND EXPANDING. AS I GATHER MORE INFORMATION, I WILL BE ADDING IT TO THIS GUIDE. IF THERE'S ANYTHING YOU FEEL I SHOULD ADD, PLEASE DM ME ON TWITTER @nox_reads, OR COMMENT DOWN BELOW. Before I share this list, all I want to say is that I'm mad as hell and I'm tired. My dad always shared stories about living in Inglewood in the 90s during the time of Rodney King and the LA Riots. And it's almost 30 years later and nothing has changed. I've grown up surrounded by names as hashtags and videos cycled through the media and it's infuriating  and heartbreaking and exhausting . And a lot of us are wondering what to do, how to break this system and burn it to the ground. And it starts with educating ourselves and uplifting the voices of others. In this list are book

Community Spotlight - Interview with Paper Lanterns

Hello everyone! Welcome to Nox the Reader, I'm Nox, and today's post is an interview with Paper Lanterns, an online literary journal based in Ireland! Paper Lanterns logo was created by Eleanor Brayden I had the chance to interview the creators of Paper Lanterns - Grace Kelly, Ruth Ennis, and Amy O'Sullivan, and ask them questions about their inspiration behind the literary journal and what they do!

The Wicked Deep and Winterwood: Reading Shea Ernshaw's Books

Hi everyone! Welcome to Nox the Reader, I'm "Nox", and today I'm talking about Shea Ernshaw's books  The Wicked Deep  and  Winterwood .          "We wait for death. We hold our breath. We know it's coming, and still we flinch when it claws at our throats and pulls us under." ~ The Wicked Deep "Because I am more darkness than girl. More winter shadow than August sunlight." ~ Winterwood Two-Sentence Synopsis: The Wicked Deep  is about the town of Sparrow, which is cursed by three sisters that were accused of witchcraft and drowned centuries ago. Every summer, the three sisters possess the bodies of three of the town's girls and drown three boys in revenge. Winterwood  is about Nora Walker, who comes from a long line of witches died to the local Winter Woods of Fir Haven. Nora finds Oliver Huntsman, a lost boy from a local camp for troubled boys, and is caught up in a mystery. Content Warnings The Wicked Deep :  Drowning,