Skip to main content

The Mid Year Freak Out Tag

Hi everyone! Welcome to Nox Reads, I'm "Nox", and this is the Mid Year Freak Out Tag!

Technically, we're past the mid-year point, but I still feel like doing this tag so I can reflect on what I've read so far!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. The Best Book You've Read So Far in 2018

Illuminae (The Illuminae Files, #1)

Illuminae was an amazing book that I almost didn't read. When I went to the bookstore I was given a one book limit, and I was torn between Illuminae and Shadow and Bone. I flipped a coin and chose to buy Shadow and Bone and start reading Illuminae while I was there, but I got so immersed in the story that I changed my mind! I'm glad I did because after binging the series, it quickly became one of my favorites! I've lent my copy to my friend and I hope he loves it just as much as I do.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2. The Best Sequel You've Read So Far in 2018

Gemina (The Illuminae Files, #2)

While Illuminae was my favorite book so far, it's sequel Gemina was incredible! It beat One Dark Throne by a thread for Best Sequel. I was so excited when I got this book, and it's the reason I've started carrying a book with me wherever I go. I knocked it out pretty quickly, thanks to my two-hour commute on the bus to and from school. My favorite thing about it though is that it introduced me to Ella Malikova, who is hands-down my favorite character in the entire series.  
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3. Most Anticipated Release for the Second Half of the Year [SPOILERS]

Two Dark Reigns (Three Dark Crowns, #3)

I can't wait for Two Dark Reigns! The ending of the last book had my head spinning, and I can't wait to see what happens with [SPOILERS] Jules exploring her war gift, Katharine reigning and literally oozing poison, and Mirabella and Arsinoe hiding on the mainland. I honestly can't believe that they made it off the island. The cover has me wondering what's happening next. Is Jules staging a rebellion? Are Mirabella and Arsinoe returning to the island? Is Katharine going to learn that she was the naturalist twin after all? I am worried that now Arsinoe's gift is going to be a bit useless since Katharine is kind of a poisoner and a naturalist now. Either way, I clearly have a lot of questions that I hope this book answers!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
4. Biggest Disappointment

Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)

It's hard to believe that the book I'm anticipating the most this year is part of a series that originally started off as a great disappointment. 

Let me clarify: I liked this book a lot. Enough that I continued the series and read One Dark Throne. But this wasn't anything like I thought it would be. The synopsis makes it seem like the entire book is a battle royale between three sisters with immense power, but Arsinoe and Katharine aren't strong in their gifts (we discover why at the end of the book), and there's barely any fighting in the entire book. It's mainly plotting, worldbuilding, and introducing the characters. It's a good book, but I'd ignore the synopsis. Personally, One Dark Throne is where it gets good.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
5. Biggest Surprise

Stalking Jack the Ripper (Stalking Jack the Ripper, #1)

Yet another book that misled me by the synopsis! I was expecting this to be a story about a girl that fell in love with Jack the Ripper, which simultaneously intrigued and disturbed me. Did she know who Jack the Ripper was, or did she fall for him based on the horrible things that he did? I'm glad I gave it a try anyways, because it was not what I expected. I loved this book, and I wish I had picked up the sequel while I was at the library! I'm writing a book ramble for Stalking Jack the Ripper so expect to see that soon!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
6. Favorite New Author

I've put her books on the list twice already, but Kendare Blake! I loved that she has this beautifully detailed world for Three Dark Crowns, and a completely different mood for Anna Dressed in Blood. I have to finish Girl of Nightmares and start her Antigoddess series soon!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
7. Newest Fictional Crush

Ohhhh there are so many. The most recent one would technically be Wallace Warland from Eliza and Her Monsters.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
8. Newest Favorite Character

I mentioned her already, but Ella Malikova from Gemina! She's so strong, witty, and determined. I loved reading scenes with her in them!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
9. Book That Made You Cry

Eliza and Her Monsters

Confession time: I don't cry while reading books. At least, most of the time. Yes, there are many that make me sad and emotional, but for the most part I don't cry while reading them. Eliza and Her Monsters is one of the first books in a long time to make me have to put down the book while reading because I was crying. Eliza's struggles were incredibly relatable to me, and there was one particular scene where I just needed to take some time to collect myself. It was a beautiful and raw experience.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
10. Book That Made You Happy

A Study in Charlotte (Charlotte Holmes, #1)

I've wanted to read A Study in Charlotte for such a long time, and I loved it! I've already posted a book ramble about it. Reading about Charlotte and Jamie made me feel like I was at Sherringford with them, and I enjoyed (almost) every bit of it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
10. Favorite Book to Film Adaptation

I haven't seen any of the ones released this year, but earlier I saw the trailer for The Hate U Give and I can't wait to see it. I'm pretty sure it's going to make me cry though.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
11. Favorite Post You've Done This Year

I've only posted twice this year, considering this is a new blog. However, it would probably be my book ramble since I got to... well, ramble, about books! Finally!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
12. Most Beautiful Book You've Bought This Year

I have the hardcover versions of Gemina and Obsidio and they're gorgeous! I've never been one to care about whether or not a series matched, but with how much I love the hardcovers, I'm so mad that I have a paperback version of Illuminae!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
13. New Release You Haven't Read Yet But Want To

Furyborn (Empirium, #1)

Everyone is talking about Furyborn coming out and I really want to read it! The cover is beautiful and the plot sounds amazing! 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
14. What Book Do You Need to Read By the End of the Year

A Gathering of Shadows (Shades of Magic, #2)

I need to finish this trilogy! After how much I fell for the first book, I need to get this series! I need more Kell, more Lila, more Rhy! I want to know what happens next!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for reading! I hope you enjoyed the post, and please tell me, what is the best book you've read this year?

Have a good day!

~Nox

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Guide to Anti-Racist Resources | #blacklivesmatter #sayhisname

Hi everyone. Welcome to Nox the Reader, and today I'm sharing a compiled list of different anti-racist resources that I've seen shared on Bookstagram and Twitter. Please note: THIS LIST IS EVER-EVOLVING AND EXPANDING. AS I GATHER MORE INFORMATION, I WILL BE ADDING IT TO THIS GUIDE. IF THERE'S ANYTHING YOU FEEL I SHOULD ADD, PLEASE DM ME ON TWITTER @nox_reads, OR COMMENT DOWN BELOW. Before I share this list, all I want to say is that I'm mad as hell and I'm tired. My dad always shared stories about living in Inglewood in the 90s during the time of Rodney King and the LA Riots. And it's almost 30 years later and nothing has changed. I've grown up surrounded by names as hashtags and videos cycled through the media and it's infuriating  and heartbreaking and exhausting . And a lot of us are wondering what to do, how to break this system and burn it to the ground. And it starts with educating ourselves and uplifting the voices of others. In this list are book

The Wicked Deep and Winterwood: Reading Shea Ernshaw's Books

Hi everyone! Welcome to Nox the Reader, I'm "Nox", and today I'm talking about Shea Ernshaw's books  The Wicked Deep  and  Winterwood .          "We wait for death. We hold our breath. We know it's coming, and still we flinch when it claws at our throats and pulls us under." ~ The Wicked Deep "Because I am more darkness than girl. More winter shadow than August sunlight." ~ Winterwood Two-Sentence Synopsis: The Wicked Deep  is about the town of Sparrow, which is cursed by three sisters that were accused of witchcraft and drowned centuries ago. Every summer, the three sisters possess the bodies of three of the town's girls and drown three boys in revenge. Winterwood  is about Nora Walker, who comes from a long line of witches died to the local Winter Woods of Fir Haven. Nora finds Oliver Huntsman, a lost boy from a local camp for troubled boys, and is caught up in a mystery. Content Warnings The Wicked Deep :  Drowning,

Community Spotlight - Interview with Paper Lanterns

Hello everyone! Welcome to Nox the Reader, I'm Nox, and today's post is an interview with Paper Lanterns, an online literary journal based in Ireland! Paper Lanterns logo was created by Eleanor Brayden I had the chance to interview the creators of Paper Lanterns - Grace Kelly, Ruth Ennis, and Amy O'Sullivan, and ask them questions about their inspiration behind the literary journal and what they do!